Students will critically study Sixty Lights by considering how the elements of the text invite the responder to explore literary mindscapes or the internal worlds of individuals. In order to explore identity, assumptions and ways of being and thinking, students will consider Jones’s personal context, values, key concepts such as photography, memory and grief, Victorian England, modernity and ‘coming of age’ novels and how intertextuality is represented in the novel. Other elements such as structure, characters, themes and setting are also addressed. Students will analyse the ideas, values and concepts conveyed in Jones’s theoretical influences and explore how these texts relate to Sixty Lights. Students will also be guided through the process of writing a critical essay.
Students have the opportunity to:
- explore and evaluate how literary texts can invite responders to engage
- with the interior worlds of individuals and how they perceive, think and feel about themselves and the societies in which they live
- analyse how texts communicate notions of identity and alternative ways of being and thinking through representations of the mind, including desires, motivations, emotions and memories
- consider how these diverse textual representations enable the responder to experience insight into the lives of other groups and individuals, and other times and places
- critically evaluate the values and assumptions embedded in texts and consider their own in relation to issues reflected in text
- reflect on the ways in which study of the texts may influence their own sense of identity.
In their responding and composing, students:
- explore, analyse, experiment with and critically evaluate their prescribed text and other appropriate texts
- write their own imaginative compositions that represent the interior worlds of others.
Students have the opportunity to learn to:
- prepare for the HSC English Extension 1 examination Paper 1, Section II
- practise identifying theoretical influences in Sixty Lights
- practise answering HSC examination style questions.